• learning how to balance on the mains any suggestions
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • G, it looks good, real good. Looks like you are doing everything right, the big next step is adding enough power to fly it into ground effect. However that postage stamp of a tail is going to need a bit or a lot of rudder action on the foot pedal to counter p factor once you lift off, so if you DO lift off then you do want to be ready. You can move slowly and surely and get there but the only other thing I have an issue with is.

I do not want to be a killjoy but that H.S or whatever is on the rudder is way  to small to be effective,

If my memory serves you liked to rocking horse my gyro when we were flying at Bensen Days so I would make sure you are good and ready before you lift off and get a larger horizontal stablizer on the back of that tail.

But I give high marks, looks and sounds real good.

J

I hit the CTRL key but I'm still not in control ! ! !
  • Secondary thoughts are that if you do lift off you want to be able to do a "tail wheel" landing. There have been several cases of slow flight after take off, putting in a lot of rudder then pulling power to land, losing rudder effectiveness, crabbing during the landing and whoomp. That is why one of the most important skills I was taught by my cfi was how to effectively execute the tail wheel landing. It snaps your gyro straight on landing so the airframe does not land in a crab. Best time and money I ever spent. It is not talked about much. Some pilots are completely unaware of it. AUTOGYRO the mfg of the MTO, Calidus and Cavalon totally omits a tail wheel, which sooner or later we will hear about an upgrade because its something every gyro should have. It is the ONLY WAY to save landing [after a certain point] in a crab or in a strong crosswind.

Landing here in windy eastern NC one needs the skill set. Otherwise your done for.

A local guy back in the day rebuilt his wrecked bensen 7 times before he was seriously injured and finished....I believe it was because of him landing in a crab but I do not know for sure.

There was a wreck a few years ago at mentone by a newbie who had such an situation and was not taught the correct landing procedure. Remember when you get slow, there is no airflow over the rudder to give you yaw authority. And with a small tail, you also have to deal with a healthy dose of p factor. Tall tails counteract most of the p factor.

J
    Having so much fun !
  • Gerold,

Sorry I did not have more time to talk but shop has been busy, which is a good thing this time of year.

I dug up an old video on a gyrobee (linked from Laura & Dana's site over at starbeegyros.com..)

and about the 1:20 mark you can see the effectiveness of using the tailwheel during the initial landing phase. play the whole video but rewind it at the 1.20 mark or before to see the landing and how the airframe snaps straight after the tail wheel touches. Learn that and you will be safe......

Having so much fun !
  • Looks good, though I do agree with Jonathan about the horizontal stab. I'd at least double the area. Can't hurt? Can't wait to see the gyro in person.
  • We have three Bensen/KB-2 gyros at Cedartown that need a better H/S. We bought a set of plans for the Ron Herron T-tail which I think is one of the best upgrades for this type gyro. Like the tail on Da Screwdriver for those that remember this gyro. We just need to find a good Tig man.
    da screwdriver.jpg
    719 x 543 - 126K