Howdy from Georgia!
  • Hi Jonathan and everyone!  Greetings from me on behalf of PeachState Chapter 56.  ...the first Georgia boy to set foot on Carolina Barnstormer cyber-soil!

Mark L.

• 20 Comments sorted by
  • He he Steve is here and I was born and raised in W central Ga. :) but glad you here :).
  • Welcome !!!

Hope you like the looks and smell of the place.... ha ha......

I just spoke to Ron and he has been hessisitant to sign up or see the new forum.

I told him it was going to be a new kind of digital sandbox......

J
    I hit the CTRL key but I'm still not in control ! ! !
  • Knock, knock... Oh, I see the door is open now that I have identified (registered). 
    Glad to be allowed to be here; after the really fun gathering at Barry's hanger last weekend, I think I will enjoy this group. 

I am John in person, also known as GA Rotor Guy from 'that' place, and also a member of Ch 56 in Georgia.  My background is flying FW back in the late '70's/early '80's, and an A&P ticket which I do not use anymore.
    I have a Dominator single which is in 're-construction' (I bought Bud Oneal's white Dom), hope to have it mostly assembled for display and Q&A by Benson Days... Q&A so I can get advise on details to address. 

Looking forward to learning, sharing, and contributing to this site! 

John/GA

• John, welcome aboard !

I had a meal with Bud many years ago here in my backyard, we talked his gyro days...( at town just up the road from me). Too bad that he is no longer flying. Bud is a great guy.....

Where are you in the rebuild ? Post some photos !

Barry K (ultracruiser) ...has been known to help out on a build or 2.

What help do you need ?

Jonathan

J
  • Scagmo here from the massive city of Toomsboro Ga. Glad to be a part of this apparently new community.
  • Hey Scagmo did you see the Wrens video
  • Scagmo think I have a video with you in Barrys gyro
  • all the links should be on the photos / videos page link. 
  • Here is a picture of the dominator gyro John is building at the Cedartown airport hanger. This is the gyro that belonged to Bud Oneal. John is going to extend the front some.more where the rudder controls are to accommodate his height.image
  • Bout time :)
  • cool ! keep us updated as parts come together.

• Hey fellow gyro barnstormers...

Been a while, my business and life seems to get in the way of an aviation hobby... seems I hear that happens to more folks than just me.... grin!

The picture above that Gerald posted was taken on New Years day in the afternoon (weather was good to go work on the gyro). 

If you notice carefully, the back 'leg' of the fork part of the main landing gear... is pointed towards the cluster plate... and it is not attached.  When I put the gyro together (after endless paint removal, inspection with a magnifying glass, and prime/2 coats of paint), I found the landing gear did not line up... I hear Dominators have this issue.

After scratching my head (and other areas not to be mentioned... grin), I decided to get creative and move the mounting points of the 'fork' back 1-3/4".  Long story short... all three mounting points of the landing gear literally slip into place with no forcing.  YEAH!!!

I have another batch of parts cleaned up and in the stages of painting... including the air shocks. 

Hope to be out at CedarTown Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon... and get them painted and assembled onto the gyro. 

I need new main tires/tubes/wheel bearings... and the same for the front wheel... hope to get those at Northern Tool this weekend.  I plan to do a spring loaded rear wheel, similar to Gabor's Behemoth.

With a little luck and a lot of elbow grease... I may have a rolling frame with the walking beam part of the stick controls mounted on the main keel... by the time I leave the hanger Monday afternoon.  Next step is the motor mounts and the engine.

I plan to do away with the rudder cables and do push/pull rods (again, similar to Gabor's Behemoth)... and I also plan to do away with the Dominator band brakes on the main wheels... in favor or hydraulic disc brakes (separately controlled).  My FW days just would not allow me to not have separate main wheel brakes, and controlled at the toe of the rudder pedals... not the heel. 

One more major modification I am planning is to build a separate instrument pod... and then modify the nose/windshield so it will go on and off easily.

Other things include a whole new wiring harness, still more parts to clean and paint, more things to figure out... and I still have not decided what color to paint the tail. 

Oh yeah... and mount the rotor head and do a hang test... hope I will not have to move the rotor head on the cheek plates too many times... grin.

Building a gyro is enough work... but when life gets in the way... well... just well... LOL

Hope to make it to the Spring CB (Carolina Barnstormers) gathering in Mid March... and if The Subinator is mostly done I will bring it along for static display so folks can help me with suggestions.  I figure since this is the first gyro I have built... there is a LOT folks could teach me... I am listening... AND: I am too much of a perfectionist... I want it right before I fly it... grin!

• Glad to see you motivated ... Why so many mod,s to a proven machine ? Nothing wrong with personalizing your
    Ship just be careful when making changes seems they always change something else . The removable pod will change the hang balance and watch those push pull rods with cams they can knuckle in to a locked position if not just right ..... Just food for thought ..... :) Look forward to seeing you and your gyro at the CBAG gathering :)
  • Hey Guys! Just checkin' in with my Carolina Gyro Brothers. I have met many of you here and there from Macon to Wrens to Bensen Days. For those of you that don't know me, I'm Gary Weaver from West Georgia area. I fly a CLT conversion Air Command out of Cedartown, Ga. and hang out with the PRA-56 bunch (please don't hold that against me).
    191.JPG
    3968 x 2976 - 2M
  • Well... Work got me again... GRRRRRR...

I planned to go to the hanger Sunday afternoon and Monday... neither happened. 
    I had a bunch of desk work to do with the business, and Monday I had a slew of no heat calls... and have a system change scheduled and staged for Tuesday.

The weather was GREAT those days... highs were 55 and 61... we will not see 50 again for the 10 day forecast.... Oh well...

Life and work gets in the way of an aviation hobby.

Rodney;  Please do not take this the wrong way: If nobody innovated designs... we would be driving model T's without heat, AC, or even windshield wipers... grin
    I come from a family of engineers... all the men except me have degrees and PE stamps.  I am the one that did not care to finish college (should have).  I think like an engineer... always looking at things and figuring out how to improve on them. 

The ideas I am planning to do (most of them anyway) have been tried by other folks and have been flown by many folks after they were perfected. 
    The only thing I am planning that is a bit 'out there' from my thinking is the removable nose.... and Scott Essex has done it on his Dominator... have not seen it yet... hope he brings it to BD's... Or I may ask permission to drive by his place going or coming back.
    You raise a good point about CG and balance with or without the nose... this is one of those things I will have to work out.  THX for pointing it out.

Now with the weather about to go cold... I guess it is back to work.  The bright side of this is: I did not do well during the cool AC season in the summer of 2013... so I guess I get to make it up in the winter of 2014.  All is well that ends well... :)

And Gary... I will not hold PRA 56 against you... there are some fine dudes in that club... grin!

• Ga.
    Naa I'm not sensitive so would not take any thing wrong . Depending on the weight of your pod you prob. can balance your gyro to fly with or without it. I don't really have any problem with pushrods .. they have been used in aircraft forever and were used in the model T :) :) I do like simple and light when it comes to gyros .
    Start a build thread and share pic.s of your progress ... I like seeing what others are doing and it would be the first build on this forum. :)
  • I have driven a few model T's and a few model A's... basically very advanced for their day, and even had cruise control....They still work on our roads, with no software updates needed and still get 25 MPG !!!

Yes, better than most cars on the road today !!!

J

• Gary that is one great looking machine ! I like your lower muffler setup. Looks mean !

Jonathan

GaryW

EditDelete

50.160.212.45 image Posts: 5

Hey Guys! Just checkin' in with my Carolina Gyro Brothers. I have met
    many of you here and there from Macon to Wrens to Bensen Days. For
    those of you that don't know me, I'm Gary Weaver from West Georgia area.
    I fly a CLT conversion Air Command out of Cedartown, Ga. and hang out
    with the PRA-56 bunch (please don't hold that against me).
  • Gary, do you have any videos of your gyro flying ?

GaryW

EditDelete

50.160.212.45 image Posts: 5

Hey Guys! Just checkin' in with my Carolina Gyro Brothers. I have met
    many of you here and there from Macon to Wrens to Bensen Days. For
    those of you that don't know me, I'm Gary Weaver from West Georgia area.
    I fly a CLT conversion Air Command out of Cedartown, Ga. and hang out
    with the PRA-56 bunch (please don't hold that against me).
  • Hey Rod,

THX, I am always careful until I know folks...

I had a customer a few decades ago that had a T and an A... worked on and drive them a few times... they were cool!  Do not think I would like to have one as a daily commuter though... even if they do get a few MPH better than my little Subbie.

On the build thread... may do that.  My PC software build is a wreck (WinXP, and it is buggie), have just not gotten around to rebuilding with Win7Pro/64.  I may be able to post pics directly from my cell phone... will try it soon.

I have not been to the hanger in about a week and a half... hope to get out there this weekend... they backed off on how cold those two days will be... especially Sunday.  Hope to get ahead a little. 

If I get some work done, and get some good pics with the cell... will try to post them here.  If it works... then yes, I will start a build thread.  It would be kinda a waste IMO to have a build thread without pics... (DUH) :)

Gonna be COLD tonite... and I am sure tomorrow morning I will have a bunch of 'no heat' calls.  Business is a good thing... until it gets in the way of an aviation hobby.  :)

John/GA